Tips On How To Make New Friends:
Making new friends is a very common social problem. A lot of people are just not sure on how to meet new people and put together a vibrant social life for themselves. It's sad but it's the truth. You are probably facing the very problem right now. There are a lot of ways on how you can find yourself in this situation.
- You have just moved out of your current place of residence and found yourself among strangers in a new city or town. This can be very unnerving. It's possible that you don't know a single person from your new address or home.
- You are currently in a long term relationship and you suddenly realize that your social life has withered away. Everything revolves around you and your partner that you lost focus on the other people and friends around you.
- Most of your friends have slowly dropped out of the picture. Maybe they moved away from your city or town. Maybe they got married and settled with new families. You find yourself with less friends and a dwindling social life.
- You may still have old friends but you find yourself growing apart from each other. This happens a lot among childhood friends who slowly see their friendship burn as they mature and grow older.
- You just came from a life-changing decision like quitting alcohol or not going to parties anymore. You can easily find yourself lonely if most of your friends bond through drinking sessions or parties. The same can be said about other decisions like changing a sport, transferring to a different school or changing jobs. They can take their toll in your social life.
These are just a few of the situations where you might find yourself longing for the company of new friends. First of all, don't ever make the mistake of thinking that you are alone in this. So many people are in the midst of the same problem. A lot of people just have no ideas on how to make new friends. As for you, this article should be able to help you out. Below are some practical tips on how you can get out there and meet new people.
- 1. Spend more time around people. It really is as simple as that. Staying at home watching TV or playing video games all day won't get you new friends. You have to get out there and put yourself among people. Your neighbor invites you for a barbecue party, attend it. Your high school classmates invite you for a class reunion, attend the reunion. Attend a concert. Take a walk in the park and talk to people. Just go out more with people, that's all there is to it.
- 2. Join a club or organization that is relevant to your interests. It's no secret that it's a lot easier befriending a person if he or she shares the same interests as you. A club or organization can be anything. It could be a sports club, a book club, a writing group, an artist group or just a simple community organization. Surely, there's a few clubs in your city or town that you can join.
- 3. Be active in sports especially team sports like soccer, basketball and football. So if your place of residence has its own sport team, try joining it. You will be amazed how many people you can meet.
- 4. Become a volunteer for a good cause. Volunteering is one of the best ways to meet new friends of all ages. This is not to mention the fact that you will be sharing the same goals and ideals. This makes for a great environment to make new friends. You get to accomplish something worthwhile while meeting new people. How cool is that.
- 5. Meet people online. Meeting people online is not that bad if you actually connect then meet up in person. If you are good in talking to people online but you are afraid to meet them in person, then that's another story. One of the benefits of meeting people online before meeting them in person is that you get rid of the awkward part. When you finally see each other in person, it feels like you've known each other so the awkwardness is less.
- 6. Be friendly to people. You want to make new friends? Then act like a friendly person. Show people that you are someone that they can hang out with. Maintain a vibrant personality. Always make it a point to smile to people.
- 7. Keep in touch with people whether you've known them for a long time or you've briefly met them in a party or event. Friendships will wither in time if the communication is completely cut off. At this age of the internet and smart phones, it's very easy to keep in touch with people you've met so there's no reason why you shouldn't do it.
- 8. Learn how to ask people out. A person will never know that you like her/him if you don't tell her/him so. Just asking a person out for coffee or pizza can do wonders.
If you follow these tips on how to meet new friends, you should encounter fewer problems along the way. Making friends is not rocket science. Just be yourself, go out more, talk to people and ask them out. Be among other people as much as possible. and make new friends from around the world.
Feel free to share, print or copy this article, but please mention the following link as a reference. Thankshttp://www.askaboutenglish.com/articles/how-to-make-new-friends.php